Monday, May 22, 2017

On Selling Eggs and Eating Seasonally (with a bonus recipe).

I carefully chose these pictures of eggs and began formulating a post...after months and months my writing skills are rusty...once the pictures appeared here, my head was empty. The whole post I'd formulated in my head just evaporated. I guess that is what happens when you don't practice what you preach (write, write, write...every. damn. day.)

Carol's egg...

I have a vague sense of wanting to articulate something about the ways in which the seasons dictate our actions...as they should I think. I also just did a mini-vent on Facebook regarding the whole "I suck at selling shit even when it is good shit" and "I'm really fucking tired of trying to convince people to buy local and support a real person instead of a multi-gazillion dollar egg factory."

So, this was either going to be a lovely, philosophical post about eating seasonally and living seasonally OR it was going to be diatribe against all.the.people who just don't get it. Let's just go with diatribe and get on with it.

I work really hard on this farm and you never even make your feed money back on eggs. Never.

My little brother, back when he was nine or so, crunched the numbers on egg farming. Even at nine (and his plan included like no overhead because he was planning on living in a tent!??!) he figured out that you could not make any money selling eggs.

That is totally the truth...so, a $5.00 dozen of eggs doesn't even buy feed and that assumes that you actually SELL some of the eggs. What mostly happens is that I can't convince folks to pay $5.00 (because factory eggs are super cheap) and they don't fucking care that we are ethical and humane and feed them good feed, and fresh veggies from the garden. No one gives a shit about organic or sustainable. No one cares that they will die of old age here where they are loved and talked to, where they have access to fresh air and sunshine.

This isn't actually about making money or breaking even for me. It is about supporting local agriculture, about supporting your neighbors, about saying no to factory farming and cruelty,  about seeing this one woman who works hard and supporting her. Supporting me. And even though I threw myself in at the end, it really isn't about me.

I believe that this would be a much better world to live in if we supported our neighbors and their efforts, if we looked to the smallest businesses instead the largest to feed us, if we learned to eat seasonally (yea, I worked that part in too).

I've just handled 19+ dozen eggs and we are just entering the abundance of Summer. In the winter we got excited when we got 1 or 2 eggs in a day. Last time I advertised eggs for sale no one wanted/needed any...it was all crickets. I get it. Sort of...

Now, we get about 6 or 8 a day...I don't even count anymore. I take for granted that it is more than enough, more than we need. Even though I take the abundance for granted you have to do something with all those eggs...and since I clearly suck at selling these eggs...the best eggs in the world, then I have to get creative.

Going into the freezer for Future Frittatas (that is totally a thing now)

Today, I had more than a lot...19.5 dozen to be exact.

So what does one do with that many eggs? (when you suck at selling stuff)

4 dozen went to family members
4 dozen were offered up for sale
4 dozen were frozen (to be made into quiches and frittatas in the middle of the Winter)
2 dozen were boiled to be fed back to the chickens (and before you get all squeamish let me remind you that some humans eat their own placentas....so, yea....not weird)
10 singles were boiled for humans and dogs to eat
and there are still 4.5 dozen in the fridge from last week...

Diatribe over....and it was a pretty mild one actually. Thanks for noticing. 

BONUS: If you have excess eggs to freeze.
Break 10-12 eggs in a bowl.
Lightly stir to incorporate the yolks and white (do not beat or whip)
Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.

Thaw in the fridge (this will look like your worst fridge nightmare...marvel in the total weirdness of thawing eggs...so gross!)

Basic Frittata
10-12 eggs
1 cup of cheese (grated or chèvre or whatever)
vegetables of choice (you can also add bacon or ham)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix it together and put it in a skillet
cook on the stovetop for 10 minutes 
cook in the oven for 20 minutes
 OR
Preheat to 375 degrees
Layer everything in a pie plate, pour eggs over the top
Bakes 45 minutes, until all is set.
***this is my preference because 45 minutes is enough time to put goats to bed. So you pop dinner in the oven then hustle like mad to get back before it burns!!!


1 comment:

  1. I am definitely saving the recipe as it sounds delicious and I think my Dad could use it when he has excess eggs. I used to love to keep the books on my little "egg business" when I was just about 10 or so. I remember Mom wouldn't give me an allowance. Instead she gave me good work to do with the hens as in protecting and feeding them and making sure I deducted the bags of feed she bought (and I carried :))out of what she or neighbors paid me for the eggs. I think I would not be the person I am today without the gift of that good work. Somehow I made money, but it was probably because she bought them at a premium as she knew the value of the eggs. I love your blog as it helps me remember the important lessons. Much Love, Paige

    ReplyDelete