Monday, January 5, 2015

Come Sew with Me: Last Saturday String Along 2015.

Introducing the Last Saturday String-Along for 2015.

One of the goals for this year is for the farm to begin generating income. I've brainstormed list after list of ways that I can do this. I'm a teacher at heart, always willing to show or explain how to do something, so at the top of the list is always: teach classes. 

I've been quilting since I was 18 (ugh, almost 30 years) and have attempted to keep the old-fashioned way of quilting alive. I am passionate about preserving the old, slow ways of doing things. I've accumulated a lot of knowledge about what I call homesteading skills.

The first thing I'm going to teach is String Piecing. String quilts were popular from the 1890s until about 1940. Using every last scrap of fabric speaks to my frugal farmer's philosophy of "using it up, wearing it out, making it do, or doing without." 

The String Quilt is also a perfect beginning quilting because using such wonky scraps is forgiving and accuracy isn't crucial. You will become more comfortable with your machine (if you aren't already), learn a few new-fangled techniques and use a few new-fangled gadgets, but generally speaking this is old-school, traditional piecing at its best!

A String quilt pieced by my Great-Grandmother, Mamaw.

Last Saturday String-Along 2015.
Date: January 31st (the last Saturday of the month)
Location: Owl Tree Farm
Time: 1:00pm to 4:00pm
Price: $40.00
BYOS: bring a snack to share...preferably organic, local, seasonal, etc.....(we are farmers after all). I will provide tea and water.

In this class you need only bring your simple sewing machine, thread, and a pair of scissors. Your class fee will cover equipment and materials and I will prep this all before hand. You will have access to my abundant and ever-growing collection of Strings for piecing your blocks like the one below and I only buy high-quality 100% cotton quilting fabric.

The January goal will be to teach you all you need know to make these wonderful blocks on your own and you will leave with at least two of them finished. 

If you decide to continue and String-Along with me, I'll help you decide how big to make your quilt, how to place your blocks and sew the rows together. Making just two blocks each month (plus one more) will give you 25 blocks and a quilt of 60" X 60"....a nice lap size.




If you decide to String-along with me, I will open my home on the last Saturday of each month and share my Strings with you for $5.00 each time. Of course, you can bring your own Strings too for sharing. (I will prep your foundation fabric for an additional $5.00 for two blocks). 

We will spend the afternoon from 1:00pm to 4:00pm sewing, chatting, and snacking. 


Don't worry about finishing the quilt....I can help you do that too! If you String-Along with me 10 out of 12 months, I'll give you the Hand-Quilting 101 Class for FREE.

If you are interested, contact me via email: jen.owltreefarm@gmail.com OR our Owl Tree Farm Facebook page (don't forget to "like" us while you are there).





No comments:

Post a Comment